Hunter's English study files
Themes for technical English self-study
1. Vocabulary-learn by reading
-remember: phrases are important vocabulary, not just words
2. Sentence combining-avoid repeating the same sentence pattern
-avoid repeating a phrase again and again
-learn all the conjunction types
Web resourcesSentence combining: conjunctions (web resources)
3. Technical English genres and their structure signalsDescription, Classification, Comparison, Sequence, Cause-effect
-learn the words and phrases which signal each structure.
You can print these files out and use them for your practice. Free!
If you have any problems, please email Mr. Hunter at
lawrie_hunter at kochi-tech dot ac dot jp
or visit Mr. Hunter in his office, A453.
++(you should know all of the above at the end of 2nd year++
4. Structure of a research paper
5. General -> specific (and vice versa)Introduction (general to specific)
Conclusion (specific to general)
6. Registers: Casual tech English vs. Formal academic English (FAE)Casual tech English is used in discussions, presentations and magazines.
FAE is used in research papers.
We should not mix these two registers.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.